Classifying organisms according to their carbon source and energy supplies
Photosynthesis : The Development of Ideas
The light dependent reaction
The light dependent reaction : Summary
Chlorophyll and photosynthesis
Carbon fixation : The light independent reaction
Topic Chapters Index
Chlorophyll in the chloroplast
Pigment molecules are located on the thylakoid membranes.
- The pigment molecules are arranged in an antenna complex.
- Light strikes the antenna complex and it is channelled towards the
- The electrons are excited by the light energy in the reaction centre.
- The electrons are picked up by electron acceptors
(1 photon of light = 1 electron released).
- The electrons that are lost are replaced by
4H+ + 4e- + O2
- So 1 molecule of oxygen released requires 4 photons of light.
The Open Door Web Site is non-profit making. Your donations help towards the cost of maintaining this free service on-line.
Donate to the Open Door Web Site using PayPal
© Paul Billiet 2018
Any questions or problems regarding this site should be addressed to the webmaster