The Open Door Web Site
Visit to a Deciduous Forest
What you need on a Field Trip
(1) You should be prepared for rain and shine! Be sure to wear several layers of clothing so that you can put on or take off layers as necessary.
(2) Always bring something waterproof to cover you should it rain. Make sure your raincoat has a hood.
(3) Bring a pair of Wellington boots or strong walking shoes. Change into these before you walk into the forest. Remember that the forest floor, which does not get very much sunlight in many places, will stay muddy for a long time after rain.
(4) Bring a clipboard with a pencil attached to it using a long piece of string. This will ensure that you do not lose your pencil as you work. It is also a good idea to bring a transparent plastic bag which is large enough to fit over the clipboard and allow you to write at the same time. This means that you can continue to record results even if it does rain.
5) Bring a few plastic bags (freezer bags will do well) to collect leaves and fruits from the forest floor.
To be brought from School
(3) Light meters
(5) A soil auger
(6) Large plastic bags for leaf litter samples
(7) Large plastic bags for soil samples
(8) Plastic bottles + caps (one per group)
The Open Door Web Site is non-profit making. Your donations help towards the cost of maintaining this free service on-line.
Donate to the Open Door Web Site using PayPal